Eagles optimistic Darren Sproles will play this season
- Texans' run hits 7, QB Smith breaks leg
- Saints rout Eagles 48-7, extend run to 9
- Bears beat Vikings, widen NFC North lead
- Steelers stun Jags for sixth win in row
- Panthers miss 2-point try, lose to Lions
PHILADELPHIA (AP) Eagles coach Doug Pederson says he optimistic running back Darren Sproles will play again this season despite suffering a setback with his hamstring injury.
Sproles returned to practice on Wednesday after missing the previous seven games but re-injured his hamstring and won't play against the Cowboys on Sunday night. Pederson wouldn't say who will return punts in place of Sproles.
The team released DeAndre Carter, who handled those duties, on Tuesday.
The 35-year-old Sproles tore his ACL and broke his arm on the same play last September and missed the rest of the season. He was hoping to play one more season.
More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Updated November 9, 2018